Democratic candidate for Senate District 8 Roger Ballenger won't have a Republican challenger after all.
Ballenger, an Okmulgee County commissioner, will represent state Senate District 8 in the regular session of the Legislature that begins in February after Jeremy Moore, a Beggs Republican, withdrew from the race for the District 8 seat, leaving Ballenger as the only candidate.
The seat is being vacated through term-limits by Senator Frank Shurden who is now running for the Democratic nomination for State Labor Commissioner.
The seat is one of seven "open" Democratic seats. The other six are
- SD 2 (Mayes* and Rogers* counties);
- SD 10 (Kay*, Osage*, Pawnee, Payne*, Tulsa*);
- SD 12 (Creek*, Okfuskee);
- SD 16 (Cleveland*, McClain*);
- SD 26 (Beckham*, Caddo*, Greer*, Jackson*, Kiowa, Tillman, Washita)
- SD 46 (Oklahoma*)
* partial counties
Complete candidate brackets can be viewed on OKINSIDER at http://okinsider.com/candidatebrackets.oki.