Monday, April 23, 2007
IT'S TIME FOR EQUAL PAY!
Tomorrow is Equal Pay Day. Over forty years after the passage of the first equal pay law, women make on average 77 cents for every dollar a man makes. And it's even worse for women of color -- African American women make 72 cents and Latinas make 59 cents for every dollar a white male makes.
(The following information is compliments of HillaryClinton.com)
How much does the wage gap cost you? Women of all ages, education levels, and backgrounds are shortchanged by unequal pay. We have created this WAGE GAP CALCULATOR so you can calculate how women like you -- in your state, at your age and your education level -- are shortchanged by the wage gap.
CLICK HERE TO CALCULATE YOUR WAGE GAP.
IT'S TIME TO CLOSE THE WAGE GAP!
THAT'S WHY HILLARY IS LEADING THE FIGHT FOR THE PAY CHECK FAIRNESS ACT
Senator Clinton introduced the Paycheck Fairness Act, along with Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa, because it's time to get serious about ending discrimination in the workplace. This legislation will provide critically needed tools to ensure that we get the equal pay laws from the law books to our checkbooks! It will:
• Toughen the penalties associated with violating the Equal Pay Act;
• Prohibit employers from punishing employees who share their salary information with their co-workers (Sharing salary information is often essential for understanding that discrimination exists and addressing it);
• Teach women and girls negotiation skills;
• Reward model employers; and
• Strengthen the ability of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to crackdown on equal pay violations.
Take Action! Use the Equal Pay Toolkit to help ensure Senator Clinton's legislation is passed:
• Email your friends the news about the WAGE GAP CALCULATOR; Tell them to find out how much the wage gap is shorting them - that's why it's time for Equal Pay!
• Write a letter to the editor supporting Hillary's Paycheck Fairness legislation
• Write a letter to your member of congress asking them to sign onto the Paycheck Fairness Act
REMEMBER: The wage gap costs women money throughout our lives: we earn less for our work, and then get paid less in pensions and benefits based on earnings!!
Use the EQUAL PAY CALCULATOR to find out how much it's costing you. Use the EQUAL PAY TOOL KIT to help Hillary pass the Paycheck Fairness Act.