Thursday, January 18, 2007

GOP Jolly

Americans for Prosperity, a free-market grassroots 501(c)(3), is being directed in Oklahoma by former UCO military science professor retired Lt. Col. Stuart Jolly, an Edmond Republican.

According to Jolly the group wants to make Oklahoma government more accountable to taxpayers through a website that shows where state dollars are spent, similar to a federal project being promoted by GOP U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn.

The group's website says the organizations wants to "ease the burden of big government" and lists TABOR as a major issue. Guess we know where that's going.

Does anyone know if Stuart Jolly is related to State Senator Clark Jolly, R-Edmond who serves on the State Senate Appropriations Committee?

1 comment:

LTC Jolly said...

Good Article Lisa,

I am Stuart Jolly and I wanted to clarify a few things in your blog.

First of all, this job is a far cry from what I'm used to in the military. I no longer fly UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters or teach cadets who want to serve their country as officers. I was very successful in the Army and now want to have the same success and impact on the Oklahoma...my home, as I did there. Americans for Prosperity gives me that chance.
Wanting to know where our tax dollars are going in Oklahoma is not a bad thing...is it? I feel that our system should be open and free of secret monetary deals. If OK adopts a this website, you and others can click on a company or organization and follow the money. Now, it doesn't matter what party you belong to, this is a good deal for all.
On that note, AFP is a non-partisan organization. Do you think all Republicans like this transparancy website? I don't so. They should but they don't just as not all Dems like it.
Besides, AFP is pushing for more than just that website. We're wanting the Franchise Tax to go away. It cost small businesses more to comply with it than the tax itself cost. Strange tax...
We're also not pushing the TABOR issue this year although we do support its premise. BTW, we weren't involved in the mess last year...fyi.
As for Clark Jolley being related to me...well, we're not sure. He has an "e" in his name (Jolley). I don't, but his family did orginate where mine did...so who knows. I guess he's a long lost cousin.
Nice talking to you all...