Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cautionary Words to Live By

(Chairman's Note: Oklahoma County Democratic Party Secretary Lynn Green emailed this inspiring call to participation and I thought it worthy of sharing with our OK Blue Notes readers. Thanks, Lynn, my sentiments exactly. As a personal note, I will not be endorsing or opposing any of our good Democrats who take up the call of party service this spring. Best of luck to each and every one of you from the precinct, to county, to district, and to state office candidates. Read Lynn's words below:)

We are about to enter a time of "Intra-party" politics. In other words, we are deciding who will lead us during the crucial election we face in 2008. We will be asked to make many decisions and have in front of us many choices, few of them easy. No where in our society, except perhaps in sports, is it more impossible to create "win-win" situations than in politics. Elections mean someone wins and someone loses, if there are at least two people who want the same position. The fact that these elections pit Democrat against Democrat means that we will have friends, colleagues, even allies asking, often demanding our vote.

Yet we recognize that we need a united party in order to succeed, so what do we do? We remember, first and foremost why we are Democrats. We have all seen the slogan posted on various signs and bumper stickers: "Democrats Care." I wish I could amend that to read "Democrats Care: About More than Number 1". Probably wouldn't make for good advertising, but to my mind that's why I'm a Democrat. I want a world where we truly realize "justice for ALL." And if my political ideals go beyond individual comforts, then my political committment must go further than my personal ambition.

Personal ambition is good and necessary if we are to have a vital party. I am running for an office in my county because I truly believe I can do it better than those who are also running for the office. (We will see what the delegates have to say.) But I do not believe that winning the election is a personal endorsement or losing it a personal rejection. It is an opportunity for service, a means to advance the cause of justice.

So if my Democratic friend decides to support me, great; I hope a majority of them do so. But if not, she is still my Democratic friend, and we will work together for this party we love. For me to feel rejected or, worse, to drop out of active participation in my party would make a lie of everything I feel makes me a Democrat.

I wish you the best of fortune as you help to guide your portion of the party through this often difficult time. May we recognize that we Democrats care about more than 1 in regards to our party as well as our country.

Lynn Green
OK County Secretary

No comments: